The first stage of the development of power engineering

 

 

The history of power engineering in Azerbaijan dates back to the 19th century. In 1897, for the first time, 550 kW power plant was built in the oil region of Baku by the Nobel brothers. The aim of building this power plant was to meet production need. Small amount of this energy was used to illuminate the country.   

In 1901, the Bibiheybat power plant with a capacity of 2000 horsepower, and in 1902 in the Black City (presently the White City) power of 2000 horsepower were put into operation. In 1913 Baku produced 109,800 kWh of electricity, of which 95% was directed to the oil industry, and only 5% to the country's illumination.

On the eve of the First World War, the total capacity of two large power plants of the Joint Stock Company "Electric Power" was 45.7 MW.  The capacity of the largest of these stations - the station in Black City was 34.4 MW. After the Revolution in 1920, few power plants were nationalized. The nationalized energy enterprises includes two thermal power plants in the Black City and Bayil settlement and distribution network with voltage of 0.4-2.0kW.  The commissioning of three turbo- aggregate, 20 MW each, in the Bayil settlement and in the Black City, the reconstruction of existing power plants and switching of power plants to gas-fired ones were intended for the complete electrification of oil extraction and refining in the Baku region.

Sheki hydroelectric power station with the capacity of 1660 kW for the development of the silk-weaving industry was completed In Sheki.  Related to the construction of a canning plant in Guba, the construction of the hydroelectric power station with the capacity of 1152 kW has begun. Zurnabad and Gusar hydroelectric power stations were built and put into operation at the same time. In 1935 the total capacity of power plants reached to 176.6 MW, and the production of electricity to 937,000 kWh. In the same year, the country's main energy department - "Azerenergy" was created, and all energy enterprises operating in the country were subordinated to it.  

The drilling and exploitation of deep oil wells in the 1940s necessitated the commissioning of new power facilities.  During these years, the State District Power Station named after Krasin in the Bayil settlement (DRES named after Krasin) and the Red Star Thermal Power Station (now Baku Bayramzadeh Power Plant No 1) were commissioned. In 1940, the capacity of existing power plants in the country reached to 250 MW, and the production of electricity to 1.7 billion. kWh.  In 1941, the first Sumgait thermal power station was commissioned in Azerbaijan.

Transition to the system of purposeful use of water and energy resources in the republic is actually related to the construction of the Mingachevir water junction. In 1954, Mingachevir hydroelectric power station, of which construction was planned over the Kur river, was put into operation.  Three years later the Varvara hydroelectric power station was put into operation. Located 14 km downstream of the Kur river and with a capacity of 16.5 MW, the station operates as a water consumption regulator on the water from the Mingachevir hydroelectric power station. In April 2017, with the participation of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, the Varvara hydroelectric power station was put into operation after reconstruction.

The first stage of “Shimal” State District Power Station with the capacity of 168.8 MW was put into operation in 1954. In 1960, this station was commissioned for the first time in the USSR with an open-source power unit of 150 MW. In 1962, the 11th turbo - aggregate of Sumgait Thermal Energy Center №1 was put into operation. Thus, the capacity of the station reached to 450 MW.

In 1959, for the first time in Europe, the construction of Ali-Bayramli State District Power Station (now Shirvan Thermal Power Plant), of which major equipment was installed in the open air, began in Ali-Bayramli city. Commissioning of the first stage of the four-unit State District Power Station with a capacity of 150 MW each not only met Azerbaijan's demand for electricity, but also created opportunity to transmit 1.7 ml. kVt.hour electricity to the South Caucasus republics in 1964-1965. At present, Shirvan TPP which has high fuel consumption is expected to be put into operation.  

At the same time, the construction of Sumgait Heating and Electrical Center No. 2 (Sumgait TPP # 2) was started to meet the growing demand for heat and electricity in the Sumgait industrial district. The first turbo - aggregate was put into operation in 1966 and the last in 1972, and the total capacity of the station reached to 220 MW.  

Saytda yerləşdirilən məlumatlar və saytın dizaynı. © Energetika Nazirliyi 2018. Bütün hüquqlar qorunub

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.